Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:31:26 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        "Thomas G. Cleghorn" <tommygun@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to mount a CD.........in 250 easy steps

On 1999 Aug 25, Thomas G. Cleghorn (aka tommygun@uunet.co.za) wrote:
> Hi there,
>         Im a relative newbie. I installed BSD 3.2 with no problems from
> the 4 volume CD set. I then decided Id like to look through the CD myself
> and try to mount it, how......
> I found the syntax (man mount etc)and wanted to mount it on /cdrom but was
> unsure of 'special'. Anyway, grep`d FAQs and Handbook in vain for any
> answers. In the end I ran /stand/sysinstall, changed to a different
> console did a df and found what I was looking for /dev/wcd0c (I think).
> wcd0c does not appear in my dmesg, where was I meant to find the info?
> For a newbie should not getting a cd to work be relatively easy or at
> least documented in the handbook or FAQs?

It sounds like you have an atapi cdrom.  So you'll want to add

/dev/wcd0c              /cdrom           cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

to /etc/fstab.

To actually mount the puppy, you'll need to, as root, type:

mount /cdrom

(or use sudo to do it as a user with root privilege ... nice tool)

or use amd to "automount" your cdrom:

Here is what I use...

/etc/rc.conf:
amd_enable="YES"                # Run amd service with $amd_flags (or NO).
amd_flags="-l syslog /a /etc/amd.conf"

/etc/amd.conf
#
# automount the cdrom ?
#
cdrom           type:=program;dev:=/dev/acd0c;fs:=/cdrom;\
                mount:="/sbin/mount mount -t cd9660 -o nosuid ${dev} /cdrom";\
                unmount:="/sbin/umount umount ${dev}"

then all I have to do is type (as me):

ls /a/cdrom

this will mount the cdrom on /cdrom (and /a/cdrom) for the default
inactivity time, to eject it beforehand:

amq -u /a/cdrom

to unmount, then you should be able to open the tray.

Hope this helps,

PS. Does any one on the list have a cleaner way of doing this?