Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:15:07 -0500
From:      Noel Jones <noeldude@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open Mail Relay

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 8:29 AM,  <peter@vfemail.net> wrote:

> I have a machine running FreeBSD, sendmail and majordomo. =A0I have someo=
ne who is on one of those majordomo lists complaining that they are receivi=
ng spam from me. =A0The complainer says I have an open mail relay that I ne=
ed to fix.

Insufficient data.  The person reporting the spam needs to provide you
with a copy of the mail, including all headers, so you can see if it
came from your server, or who sent it through your server.

Most likely suspects are another list member's infected machine
sending out spam to the list, or an outright forgery that never went
through your server.

> I went to <http://www.abuse.net/relay.html>http://www.abuse.net/relay.htm=
l to test the machine using its IP address. =A0Abuse.net gives a clean bill=
 of health, saying relaying was denied in 17 separate tests.

Then it's unlikely your server is an open relay.  But you may need to
add some spam filtering to your lists, or at least restrict posting to
members only.

  -- Noel Jones