Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:54:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      White Hat <pigskin_referee@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Users Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: solaris

--- Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/09/06, White Hat <pigskin_referee@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >  I have
> > tried Open Office. No matter what anyone says, it
> is
> > just not as full featured as Word 2003. It is not
> even
> > close.
>

> True, but also compare the cost. Not even close...

Immaterial. the singularly most important feature is
suitability to task. If it is free and it does not
work, what good is it?

> He/she does
> > not want to read tons of manuals and spend hours
> in a
> > frustrating attempt to get it to run.
>

> This is where you are completely wrong. I work for
> an ISP. I'm not
> responsible for tech support but I keep my "ear to
> the ground". A VERY large
> number of callers have problems configuring Outlook
> Express, for example. No
> matter what the polls say, the experience is often
> very different. They may
> not read the manuals (because they are no longer
> supplied), they just ring a
> call centre instead.

Yes, the lack of documentation is a shame. Usually it
can be obtained for an additonal cost which I suppose
is better than nothing. The same lack of documentation
plagues every facet of software today. Of course, it
has been a boon for the after market book manual
publishers. BTW, you have failed to document so called
help line assistants who are nothing more than company
mouth pieces who have at most a superficial knowledge
of the product that they are suppose to be assistant a
customer with. I had the experience of talking with a
customer support moron who tried to sell me a new
router while I attempted to explain the router was
fine, but the installation CD was defective. I
eventually just sent it back for a replacement.
Usually these individuals are barely equipped to
handle the job they are given.

However, you have made my point. If a user cannot
decipher how to configure a simple thing like Outlook
Express, and there are programs available that will do
it for them, then how are they suppose to be capable
of handling a CLI OS like FreeBSD? It boggles the mind
-- at least mine. Worse, the configuration of OE is
handled by a wizard. It is truly sad when a user
cannot configure something when it is simplified down
to that level.

> The average user
> > does not care about configuring firewall, AV or
> > Spyware, etc. Just drop in a copy of ZA with
> perhaps
> > Sunbelt's Counter Spy and they are on their way.
>

> That's one statement contradicting the other.

How? Drop in two CDs or download the programs, run
them and case closed. Neither one requires any
significant configuration. The defaults work just fine
for most users. You could eliminate the Counter Spy
since ZA has its own proprietary SpyWare program, but
I just happen to prefer Counter Spy.

BTW, if MS actually does market it 'One Care' program
suite, that might even obsolete that entire process. I
don't think they will offer it with the OS though. Too
much of a chance the government will protest.
Personally I believe a company should be allowed to
market its product anyway it wants without government
intervention; however, that is entirely another story.