Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:16:49 -0700
From:      "David" <vetter_david@sbcglobal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding disks via an expansion card

----- Original Message -----
From: "David" <vetter_david@sbcglobal.net>

> I've looked through what I can of the Handbook and FAQ but can't seem to
> find an answer.
>
> I have added a Maxtor UltraATA/100 PCI Adaptor Card to one of my machines
> (to replace failing on-board IDE controllers).  On boot, I see that it is
> detected and it detects the hard drive attached to it.  However, I have
two
> problems.
>
> 1) The CD-ROM attached to the card is not detected.
> 2) The devices don't exist in /dev to do anything with it.
>
> I have tried to use 'MAKEDEV all' to get the devices to appear there, but
it
> doesn't seem to do it.  Do I have to add the devices manually?
>
> exerpt from dmesg:
>
> atapci1: <Promise ATA100 controller> port
> 0xec00-0xec3f,0xe800-0xe803,0xe400-0xe407,0xe000-0xe003,0xdc00-0xdc07 mem
> 0xee000000-0xee01ffff irq 11 at device 10.0 on pci0
> ata2: at 0xdc00 on atapci1
> ata3: at 0xe400 on atapci1
> <snip>
> ad2: 2014MB <Maxtor 82160D2> [4092/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA33
> ad3: 12416MB <GENERIC GENERIC> [25228/16/63] at ata1-slave UDMA33
> ad4: 4121MB <Maxtor 90432D2> [8374/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA33

Well, I found a way to do this, though I'm wondering if there's an easier
way.  I ended up removing an option in the kernel conf for static IDE
numbering.  I recompiled that and rebooted.  On the way up I disabled the
first IDE controller on the board.  When the rest of the machine came up the
secondary master and secondary became ad0 and ad1, respectively, while the
new controller's master and secondary became ad2 and ad3.

While this works, it also means that I can't use the secondary controller on
the add-on card I have.

I found these lines in the kernel conf:

device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15

Can I just add another line like this?   A friend also suggested I use the
wd driver, but it appears to be mutually exclusive with the ata driver.
Anyone know what the best way to do this would be or suggestions on what I
could do?

David