Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 22:49:24 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        <webmaster@wmptl.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <dristovsk@home.com>
Subject:   Re: OFFTOPIC: Hardware mb/cpu question...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Vidican" <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <dristovsk@home.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 3:33 PM
Subject: OFFTOPIC: Hardware mb/cpu question...

> Has anyone got an Asus P3B-F (440BX) mainboard to successfully run with
> an Intel PIII 800/PIII 850 mhz CPU ? Just want to assure the possibility
> before purchasing new cpu.
>
> Drage

The ASUS website says that motherboard will support the P3-800 if it is of
hardware revision 1.03 or later, and BIOS revision 1004 or later.  (You can
update the BIOS, but you can't do anything about the hardware revision #)
Given the pricing of AMD to Intel right now I would be leary of buying a P3,
especially a slot 1....looks like the p3-800 100mghz is running about $190.
The Duron 800 is about $90 right now, and the Athlon 900 is about $190....of
course you probably already have a P3 motherboard.

To answer yuor question specifically, I have never owned the P3B-F, but I
have had quite a few other ASUS motherboards, P2B and CUBX and so
forth....they have always supported exactly what ASUS claimed they would.  I
wouldn't think there would be any reason to doubt their website about
yours..

Josh