Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:25:53 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl-5.10.0 in FBSD-7.0

--nextPart2756193.98O3hFqtyL

On Thursday 24 January 2008 06:02:25 am Gerard wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:19:29 +0100
>
> Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > Gerard wrote:
> > > I have not been able to find any information in regards to the
> > > latest version of Perl, version 5.10.0, released in December.
> > >
> > > 1) When will this version be available in the ports system?
> >
> > After 7.0 is released.
> >
> > > 2) Will FreeBSD-7.0 use this as the default Perl version?
> >
> > Not as it will be shipped, but users can upgrade to it later.  I was
> > going to say "easily upgrade", but that might turn out to be a lie :)
> >
> > Historically, new versions of perl are a recipe for large amounts of
> > pain because of all the old perl code that stops working.  It would
> > be completely irresponsible to attempt that update prior to the
> > release (and moreover, the packages are already finalized for 7.0
> > anyway, modulo security updates).
>
> IMHO, updating to a new OS is like buying a new car. I certainly would
> not purchase a new vehicle if it contained an old motor. Yes, I could
> swap out the old motor for a new one once I purchase it; however,
> wouldn't it have been wiser for the dealer to have done so and spared
> me the problem. Perhaps this is not the ideal analogy; however, I think
> you get the idea.
>
> I just hope this decision does not cause the fiasco that the updating
> of Xorg caused and still, from reading the postings on this forum,
> still continue to cause for some users.
>
> Thanks for your response.

But you're using BSD because of it's history of stability and habit of "Jus=
t=20
Working" right?

What a new version of perl has to fight is a history of years (can I say=20
decades yet?) of perl upgrades that broke tons of stuff due to a lack of=20
backwards compatibility.  No one listens to the perl people when they say=20
that "new shiny version X isn't different in a way that will affect anythin=
g"=20
anymore becasuse they've been saying that for years and it's just not been=
=20
true.  Changing the default version of perl to 5.10.0 is going to break ton=
s=20
of ports, and everyone knows it.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB