Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:14:56 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "David Jenkins" <david.jenkins@gmail.com>
To:        "Nicolas" <lists@serpe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nslookup not working on client machines only

On Wed, 24 November, 2004 0:47, Nicolas said:
> Hello,
>
> I've set up a FreeBSD box to provide my home network a NAT access to
> the
> Internet and a DNS caching-only server with bind 8.3.7 (among other
> things).
>
> It's working perfectly but today I noticed something that I do not
> understand. When trying to $ nslookup google.com on a client host,
> here's what it says :
>
> 8<--
> nicolas@fsol$ nslookup google.com
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent
> host/domain
> *** Can't find server name for address ::: No response from server
> *** Default servers are not available
> nicolas@fsol$
> -->8
>
> Now, trying the same thing directly on the DNS box :
>
> 8<--
> root@earth$ nslookup google.com
> Server:         192.168.0.1
> Address:        192.168.0.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   google.com
> Address: 216.239.57.99
> Name:   google.com
> Address: 216.239.37.99
> Name:   google.com
> Address: 216.239.39.99
>
> root@earth$
> -->8
>
> The resolv.conf files are the same on the 2 boxes :
>
> 8<--
> nicolas@fsol$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search serpe.org
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> nicolas@fsol$
>
> root@earth$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search serpe.org
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> root@earth$
> -->8
>
> Given this, I do not understand why it works on the DNS box and not on
> the client.

I believe this might mean you don't have reverse DNS setup on your
server for you local network.

i.e. when you use nslookup it tries finding out the corresponding
hostname for it's own IP address. So if you have an IP address of
192.168.0.100 on the box that is having trouble with nslookup, you
will need to define what hostname that IP address map's to on your DNS
server.

You need to have the following in named.conf and the corresponding
zone file

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "localnetwork.rev";
};

which defines your home network and their IP address etc ...

Hope this helps.

David

PS - dig doesn't suffer from those problems AFAIK, so you may be
better of using dig.