Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 00:25:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble installing packages.

> I've installed FreeBSD 3.2-release from a dos partition.  I downloaded the
> distributions and some packages from ftp3.freebsd.org.  I had no trouble
> installing any of the distributions, but when I try to install any of the
> packages I get the message "Unable to locate package".  I'm trying to install
> them with /stand/sysinstall, the same way I installed the distributions.  The
> installer locates the package index file, but can't seem to find the packages
> themselves.  They're located in c:\FREEBSD\packages.  For instance the cdplay
> package is located at c:\FREEBSD\packages\audio\cdplay-0.92.tgz.  Can anyone
> help me with this?

If you have them in a FreeBSD filesystem, use pkg_add to add the package.
I'd only use sysinstall for the initial install, not customization later.

If you have them in a DOS filesystem, you'll need to mount the DOS partition
under FreeBSD
		mount_msdos /dev/xxx /mnt
(where xxx is where the DOS partition is).  Then use pkg_add as before.

Since you are dual booting, you'll want to figure out how to mount the
DOS partition at some point.  Fate is asking you to do this now.

(in a pinch you can always download the packages again)

Jon Doran