Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:27:08 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@freebsd.org, dyson@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent vfork kernel changes broke csh & tcsh!

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, John S. Dyson wrote:

> > >I forgot to mention that I am shure it is vfork problem because it
> > >disappearse when I change vfork to fork in csh or tcsh.
> >
> > It wasn't completely clear that you have to start from csh or tcsh
> > to see the bug.

Of course, else what the Subj. talk about?

> Well, I am about ready to give up on the vfork thing...  There
> are bigger fish to fry :-).

Can we left vfork at traditional BSD stage and not make it
as powerful as rfork is? It seems some programs expect traditional
semantics...

BTW, alternative way will be fixing such programs to preserve more
variables before forking, but it is relatively hard task. I try to see
what csh child clobbers, but give up, i.e. can't find what it was.
Preserving process list f.e. not helps...

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>