Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 15:32:36 -0500
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        michael@327.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with MySQL port

They changed the default behavior of the client on MySQL recently.  It
used to let you connect without the -p argument if there wasn't a
password set.  Try this:

# mysqladmin -u root -p -password "[password]"

Just hit "Return" when it prompts you for a password.

As far as I can tell the -p argument is now required for the client.