Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2017 15:56:29 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Randy Terbush <randy@terbush.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtua." <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recovering an ZFS vm

Hi Randy,

> I have a Centos vm that has suddenly stopped booting. At the console, grub
> tells me the following if I attempt to list any of the available partitions.
>
> error: not a correct XFS inode.
> error: not a correct XFS inode.
> error: not a correct XFS inode.
> error: not a correct XFS inode.
> error: not a correct XFS inode.
> Filesystem type xfs, UUID 7652ffda-f7c5-408a-b0ce-b554b66fc2e5 - Partition
> start at 2048 - Total size 2097152 sectors
> grub>
>
> Is there an easy way to recover this? This has happened more than once.
> Just so happens there is something on this image I would like to have
> access to...

  Looks like the grub partition was upgraded to the version of XFS that
has the CRC feature enabled (7.2 ?). Unfortunately this feature is not
understood by grub-bhyve :(

  One way to recover the disk is to create a new VM with the most recent
CentOS, but using UEFI for the bootloader. Then, add this disk to the
guest, and from within the guest I think you can run an XFS utility that
will disable the use of CRCs on that partition.

  The proper fix would be for grub-bhyve to be updated to the latest
version of grub2, though a workaround is to create guests with UEFI and
not use grub-bhyve.

later,

Peter.