Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:03:39 -0400
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating /usr/src after updating 4.7->4.8

On Saturday 05 April 2003 10:15 pm, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 9:56 PM -0500 4/5/03, taxman wrote:
> >On Saturday 05 April 2003 09:26 pm, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> >>  Greetings again. On a test machine, I upgraded from fairly vanilla
> >>  4.7 to 4.8 using CD-ROM and /stand/sysintall. At the beginning of the
> >>  upgrade, it told me that it would not upgrade /usr/src. After the
> >>  upgrade, I see by the dates that it upgraded some of /usr/src, but
> >>  not most of it.
> >>
> >>  What is the proper way to bring /usr/src up to date so that I can
> >>  make kernel mods?
> >
> >cvsup is one of the most common ways.  You need to install it first.  See
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> I was assuming that there was a way to get it off the CD-ROM. Is that not
> true?

Duh, sorry, of course you can do it that way.  I didn't even think of using
the cdrom to install the source, because using cvsup is so convenient.
Instead of downloading an entire 650MB+ ISO to upgrade from one version to
the next, cvsup only downloads the updates in the source code between
versions which is more likely to be in the range of tens of megabytes.
Then building from source is generally pretty problem free between releases,
as long as you read the proper docs.

The other benefit of cvsup is that you get the latest up to date code in the
release branch, which includes the security fixes.  While 4.8 did just come
out and that's not important now, it may be for you in the future.

Tim