Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:40:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Mirlok <mirlok@acmail.ab.az>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns

Hello BSDaemons!

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Studded wrote:
> Mirlok wrote:
>
> > And after I change it how much time should pass before new server will be
> > visible?
>
> 	If you're going to do DNS you need to buy, read and understand "DNS and
> BIND, Second Edition" from O'Reilly and Associates. The short answer to
> your question is that a change in your zone file should be visible after
> twice your refresh rate, depending on how many remote sites have your
> zone cached.

  I concur. This book is critical if you plan to run DNS services.

  Just last night I bought a copy of the 3rd Edition of "DNS and
BIND". The back cover says: "The third edition covers BIND 4.9, on which
most commercial products are currently based, and BIND 8, which implements
many important new features and will be the basis for the next generation
of commercial name servers."

DNS and BIND, Third Edition
  by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu
  Published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.   http://www.oreilly.com
  ISBN: 1-56592-512-2
  Price: US$ 32.95

I bought mine at "Borders Book Store" - Dearborn Michigan.
Available at many other places, I'm sure. (including O'Reilly web site).

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat