Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 14:52:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   scsi errors - flakey hardware?

I suspect I already know the answer, but just in case:

I have 2x50Gb seagates attached to an AD29160.  Initial tests
suggested they were ok, but under loading they've started, fairly
consistently, keeling over.  They do this running at 80Mb/s, or if I
tell the adaptec controller to take them down to 40Mb/s; I've swapped
cables (but not terminators - LVD terminators aren't easy to track
down).  I've tried forcing termination on the controller as well as
leaving it to auto-terminate.

I'm running 4.0-RELEASE.

Errors are many, on either disk, of the form

SCB 0x67 - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0xc
WARNING no command for scb 103 (cmdcmplt)
no longer in timeout, status = 34b
Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 2 SCBs aborted
ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during seqint 0x71 scb(103)

and many variations on the above.  I know (from archived messages)
roughly what these mean in terms of the scsi states.  Often they
will eventually lead to a kernel panic.

Would I be correct in thinking I have (most likely) a flakey terminator,
cabling, or disks, or is there any known issue with the drivers for the
adaptec 29160?  All I've been able to find in archives suggests flakey
hardware ...

-patrick. [ off to find another terminator to test against ].