Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:57:10 +0100
From:      Robert Blacquiere <freebsd-current@guldan.demon.nl>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fix for libpthread

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 02:46:57AM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org> [040303 00:09] wrote:
> > Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> > >This assertion doesn't seem necessary.  Apply to
> > >src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c
> > >
> > As I saw some reports in the -CURRENT list,  the panic is always
> > triggered by mix up
> > of libc_r and libpthread in same program. So to avoid other mysterious
> > crashes,
> > I'd like keep the code there, it is now used to check the problem.
>
> Can you clarify?  Without this patch mplayer refuses to work for
> me and crashes at startup.  With the patch it runs just fine.

I think what David wants is to locate misbehaved programs like mplayer.
And then try to find a way to fix these programs instead of patching a
good system, or we'll end up with a system like a known large producer
of PC software and PC OS. I refuse to call it's name...

> Is there a workaround?
I'd think something like pkg_delete -x mplayer?
Maybe there is already a patch available for mplayer?

Robert

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!