Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:40:29 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Joseph Lewis <sharktooth@innocent.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Iomega Zip Drive is ad, not afd

In the last episode (Feb 06), Joseph Lewis said:
> Hello!
>
> I have been having problems with the Iomega Zip Drive.  It appears as /dev/ad2, not /dev/afd0.  Now, BIOS detects the device, and I suppose that's why I get a "removable hard disk" instead of the ide floppy I am supposed to get.  A different drive returned /dev/afd0, and the revision numbers on the devices are different:
>
>   /dev/ad2 is revision B.27
>   /dev/afd0 is revision 25D

Some Zips are ATA and some are ATAPI.  ATA zips have a solid eject
button and a separate access light.  ATAPI zips have a clear eject
button that doubles as the access light.  The unit coming up as
/dev/ad2 is an ATA zip (looks like a removable hard drive to the OS),
and /dev/afd0 is an ATAPI zip (looks like a floppy drive to the
OS).

Apart from the different device name, what problems are you having?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com