Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:52:34 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Superuser <root@krabi.mbp.ee>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error in make world

On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 07:46:17PM +0300, Superuser wrote:
> I'm relatively unexperienced FreeBSD user and for first time tried:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make world

As an aside, have you looked at the tutorial at

Admittedly, it won't have solved this particular problem. . .

> It went a long way, but suddenly bombed out saying:
>
> install -c -s -o root -g network -m 4550 ppp /usr/sbin
> install: unknown group network
>
> What should I do ?
>
> I have system ver 2.2-STABLE, cvsup running each night...

A new group was added to the group file, and then used as part of the
installation. Of course, 'make world' will not install the new group file
for you.

Run 'diff' on /etc/group and /usr/src/etc/group to see what the differences
are. As I recall, you need to add a 'network' group to /etc/group.

You can restart the 'make world' with

    # cd /usr/src; make -DNOCLEAN world

which will not wipe out the results of the previous build, or

    # cd /usr/src; make world

if you want to start from the beginning.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
And I'd have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.