Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:08:11 +0200
From:      Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@piwebs.com>
To:        sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller@web.de>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad performance

On Saturday 13 September 2003 14:52, sebastian ssmoller wrote:
> hi,
> i recently switched from mandrake to freebsd. i used a second system,
> to install freebsd 5.1 (release) on a 15 gb western digital disk. i
> installed the whole system without problems and managed to start gdm and
> gnome2. everything worked fine and performance (launching gdm, gnome2
> and firebird) was really good (better then mdk :)
>
> then i moved the disk from the hardware used during install into the
> "production" environment which includes VIA 82C8363 (Apollo KT133A)
> board, NVidia GeForce2 grafic card (using nvidia native driver for x11),
> AMD Duron 750 MHz, 512 mb ram.
>
> everything worked fine again. BUT: launching gdm needs a lot of time,
> same for gnome2. when i start moz-firebird i am unabled to use it for
> minutes (!) until it reacts on user events (typing inet adress into
> address bar), same for gaim.
> i checked the ata settings; the drive is running in udma66 (as
> expected).
>
> cause i am new to *bsd i do not really know where to start or what
> further information to provide. any hint/idea would be great !
>
> thx for ur help
> seb
>
> ps: the system i used to installed fbsd first is: AMD Duron 800 MHz,
> VIA  VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] board, old SIS 8MB pci video card, 256 mb
> ram

Some things you might want to check:

1) Is your hostname set? It has to be set in /etc/rc.conf.
2) Is your hostname properly configure in /etc/hosts? It should look something
like this:
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1               hostname hostname.my.domain
127.0.0.1               hostname.my.domain.
(note the dot after the last line. hostname.my.domain should be the output of
'hostname', and hostname the output of 'hostname -s')
3) Are you using IPv6? If not, try disabling it in your kernel.

Arjan