Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 18:05:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unkillable process

keith@mail.telestream.com wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > How in the heck can I kill a process that does not respond to a kill -9?
 > I've got a remote machine that has a hung  mt  process up and I need to
 > get to that tape device.

The process is in the "iowait" state.  Such a process does not
receive any signals, because it is blocked on I/O and it is not
scheduled for CPU.  This is usually an indication of a hardware
problem (i.e. with your tape drive).

 > # kill -9 5959
 > #
 >
 > No error at all.  :-/

Of course kill doesn't report an error, because it successfully
added a SIGKILL to the queue (or mask) of signals pending for
reception by that process.

You first have to solve the hardware problem, so that the
process is not blocked anymore.  Then it will disappear.

This should be in the FAQ...

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)