Date:      Fri, 9 Sep 2005 04:31:01 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Eric Murphy <eam404@earthlink.net>
Cc:        martin@orbweavers.co.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: command question..

On 2005-09-08 20:20, Eric Murphy <eam404@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Martin McCann wrote:
>> date > pings.txt ; ping -c 10 www.yahoo.com | \
>> awk '{ print $7 ; }' | sort >> pings.txt
>>
>> this will give you a file with the date then the pings sorted from
>> quickest to slowest. [...]
>
> Hmm i got a bad santex error

The message you saw was probably "bad _syntax_ error"...

What shell are you using?  What was the *EXACT* command you run and the
error message you got.

PS: Please do *NOT* top post and quote the entire original message just
to add a single line.  Trim the message you quote, keeping the relevant
parts, and post your comments _below_ the quoted text.  I've fixed the
message this time, but I tend to hit DEL pretty fast msot of the time.