Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:22:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Christian Henry <henryc@visinet.ca>
To:        Iain Templeton <iain@misnomer.clare.tased.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No inodes left

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Iain Templeton wrote:

> Well, I seem to be having a small problem with inodes, I keep receiving
> the message (syslog)
>
> /kernel: uid 8 on /u1: out of inodes
>
> This is caused by INN (running as uid 8 = news), writing all its junk
> files, which I am sure that it didn't M
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is: How can I increase the number of
> inodes, or otherwise fix this problem. Reformatting the disk, although
> not preferred here, is an option.

The "-i" (number of bytes per inode) parameter, from what I recall, defaults
to a value of 2048.  If you have to resort to reformatting your disk, try
specifying a smaller value (on our news spool drives, I specified "-i 1024";
I suppose that a value of 1536 would also have done the trick, but I was
lazy.  :-) ).

--
 Christian Henry                                  e-mail:  henryc@visinet.ca
 Networks Integration        Toronto, Ontario    support:  (416) 488-5352