Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:56:14 -0700
From:      Caleb Walker <cwalker@cwalk.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Configuring for two IP addresses => one interface, and NATD

What is you subnet mask for this 63. class address.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
#If I could get a bit of guidance here, I'd really appreciate it.
#
#Here's the situation...
#
#I have a small local network which is connected to the net via a DSL line.
#Up until today, I had exactly _one_ static IP address which my ISP had
#allocated to my DSL line.  As of today however, I now have _two_ static
#IP addresses for my DSL line.
#
#I have one machine (running FreeBSD, of course) which is directly connected
#to the DSL line.  The machine in question serves as both a server (e.g. web,
#mail, and name service) and also does double duty as a firewall.
#
#This machine has two ethernet cards on it... one connected to the DSL line
#and another which goes out to a small ethernet hub to which the rest of my
#local network is connected.
#
#This machine (the server/firewall machine) has all of the necessary stuff
#compiled into the kernel to support both ipfw (firewall stuff) and also
#the NATD stuff.  And I *am* using both ipfw and natd.
#
#I've previously setup a rather elaborate set of firewall rules (for ipfw)
#for this machine, and those have been working well.  All non-suspicious
#packets can get in and out with no problems, I am I am well and properly
#alerted whenever suspicious activity from outside comes in.  (I adjusted
#those rules, of course, to make all necessary allowances for my new, second
#static IP address.)
#
#Anyway, I have been working on an experimental special-purpose name server
#and I needed another IP address to run that on, so today I requested and
#obtained a second IP address from my ISP for my DSL line.  The second IP
#address has already been implemented by my ISP, and it seems to be correctly
#routed down to my DSL line, along with my original static IP address.
#
#Now comes the hard part... I need to find out *everything* that I am supposed
#to do to let the system know that I have this second IP address attached to
#the first ethernet card.  I have already added the following statement into
#my /etc/rc.conf file (to make sure my new IP was ifconfig'd for the primary
#ethernet card):
#
#ifconfig_xl0_alias0="inet 63.92.26.217 netmask 255.255.255.0"
#
#Then I rebooted.  After this, "ifconfig -a" showed both IP addreses (new and
#old) properly associated with my primary ethernet card.  No problem.  Great.
#
#Then I tried just pinging the new IP address from the server/firewall
#machine itself and nothing happened.  It just sat there.  But I found that
#I *could* ping the new address from *other* machines elsewhere on the
#Internet.  Hummm.... This can't be right!
#
#Now, I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of pinging of this machine from
#itself, so this isn't TOO worrisome, but I just feel that the fact that I
#cannot ping the second IP address from this very same machine indicates that
#I am most certainly doing something wrong.  There is obviously something
#else that I need to do, but what?  I have no idea.
#
#I think that main problem here is that I'm pretty damn ignorant about things
#like routing and arp and stuff like that.
#
#I played around with both arp and /sbin/route for awhile, and I found a
#couple of different ways to ``cure'' the ``no ping response'' problem,
#but which of these is the ``correct'' solution?  I have no idea.  I'm
#getting lost in a twisty maze of different route options, all different.
#
#If anybody can help get me unconfused, please do.
#
#Here's the output of `netstat -n -r' right after a reboot.  Note that my
#old static IP address is 63.92.26.236.  My new one is 63.92.26.217.  The
#ethernet card that faces outward towards my DSL line is `xl0' and the one
#that faces inward towards my (natd serviced) local network (192.168/16)
#is called `rl0'.  The IP address of my ISP's end of the DSL line is
#63.92.26.254.
#
#Why, oh why isn't FreebSD smart enough to setup *any* sort of a route for
#my second IP address?  Eh?  I mean hay!  I already ifconfig'd it properly
#and everything!  (Grumble, grumble.)
#
#If anyone can educated me, please do.  Please be sure to include
#<rfg@monkeys.com> in the recipient list of your reply.  Thanks.
#
#
#Routing tables
#
#Internet:
#Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
#default            63.92.26.254       UGSc      215    23628      xl0
#63.92.26/24        link#1             UC          0        0      xl0
#63.92.26.236       0:50:da:71:81:87   UHLW       10    17005      lo0
#63.92.26.254       0:30:19:4c:80:b2   UHLW      214       74      xl0   1144
#127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          1       10      lo0
#192.168/16         link#2             UC          0        0      rl0
#192.168.1.14       0:10:4b:68:be:11   UHLW        1       36      rl0    508
#192.168.254.254    link#2             UHLW        0        8      rl0
#
#
#To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
#with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
--

Thank You,
Caleb Walker