Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 17:19:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        fmtel@micronet.fr
Cc:        questions@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiproc & Raid support

> Hello,
> We plan to install a DEC Prioris HX5100MP under
> FreeBSD.
>
> Before doing it, we need to know if FreeBSD supports :
> 2) multiprocessing ?

Yes; nearly ready for integration into the main source tree, it
is seperately available.  Subscribe to the freebsd-smp for
detailed information, mostly useful only to developers.

> 1) multiprocessor servers (up to 4 Pentium 100) ?

Currently, set for 2 procesors (1 BP, 1 AP).  Moving to 1 BP and
'n' AP is relatively trivial, but currently would require small
hacks in 3 locations.  BP/AP is Intel terminology for the Intel
MP Spec 1.1; the box must comply with the Intel Spec for the
APIC probe to succeed in desteing processors other than the boot
processor.

> 3) Raid 0+1or 5 with Mylex monocanal EISA Narrow RAID controller ?

There is support for the Compaq RAID SCSI controller, which has
not yet been integrated into the tree.  I don't know if the Mylex
controller is supported or not.  If the RAID is transparent to
the actual driver, then it probably is, though it wants a Mylex
driver which may or may not be supported (I can't answer that one).

External RAID arrays work without modification.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.