Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:57:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: egroups now Yahoo groups ??? cool

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> > Yahoo! isn't really changing the service much; if you liked it in
> > the months before the Yahoo! conversion, you'll continue to like it.
>
> Enought for me to like it less than before. I am sure these changes are
> not for users benefit. They are to consolidate branding nothing else.
> They want you to see the Yahoo name longer.. that's all.

The domain makes the brand.  It is such a vacuous distinction.  I wonder
what would happen if someone went way retro and handed out IP numbers.
"Welcome to 192.168.23.45, your source for widgets!"  (It would save
hostmaster contacts a bunch of spam for one.)  With names in .com running
out, people are caming up with some _realllllly_ stupid ways to spell the
name of a company. "zlfragzl.com, the best in online investing!" hehehe

My beef is that it boogered up my filters.  Damnit!  Now I have several
dozens of messages in the wrong mail box. :)

And while we are griping...

Why put news on the web?  Slashbots abound.  News is better for this type
of thing.  Why meld news and mail into a some web based conglomeration?
(Rhetorical questions, no answer needed)

I really prefer the seperation of the different mediums of internet
communication.  Lists are cool.  News is cool.  The web is cool.   Mashing
it all together, IMO, results in something that is less than the sum of
the parts.

I didn't particularly care for egroups.  I used them because that is where
the content I desired was disseminated.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells