Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:39:57 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade of Apache deletes my web site?

>> > You shouldn't have placed your website in to that directory. You
>> > should have made another directory and relinked the
>> > /usr/local/www/data to that directory. The you should have appointed
>And, imho, better way is to change DocumentRoot in httpd.conf to
>'another directory'.

Which is what I had done, of course, for a couple of my other virtual=
 domains.
But unfortunately, not my "default" one. Luckily, I've been lazy in=
 updating
it, so I'm not to upset it all went away. The only part I'd been working
on (and having had put several days worth of effort into), is my Home
Theater site, and I had that on my other machine.

>> out of curiosity, (and pity for the new users who
>> have/are/will be affected by this) I ask, where is
>> this documented?
>And now the most impressive. Citate from Apache documentation:
>"INSTALL
> Now it's time to install....
> $make install
> If you are upgrading, the installation will not overwrite your
>configuration files or documents."

Yes, it is definitely a bug in the FreeBSD installer. It absolutely
should never remove an existing directory, esp. without warning. I
spent some time on the Apache web site to see if it said anywhere
anything about not using the pre-installed data.default directory,
and could not come up with anything.

--
Jonathan Arnold             (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
The Incredible Brightness of Seeing, a Home Theater weblog