Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:02:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com (Dave Babler)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rlogin delay

> > > I've observed something concerning rlogin that is a bit odd to me, and
> > > increasingly annoying for my users. When a user logs off and then tries
> > > to re-log within a reasonable delay from another machine on the local
> > > network, the login will be ingored for a very long time (10-60 seconds
> > > seems typical). I checked the /etc/inetd.conf to make sure it was okay:
> >
> > Did you turn on the global SO_KEEPALIVE that everyone was talking about?
> > People who wanted this were MUD people and similar sites, without regard
> > for the impact on things that didn't expect it to be on.
> >
> I basically installed/built whetever was the standard configuration
> (2.1-stable)... I also tried the -n option for rlogind in /etc/inetd.conf
> to no effect. The first couple of relog attempts usually work in a second
> or two - subsequently, the delays required get pretty long.

I was about to suggest -n in case it was a client problem with the connection
not being terminated correctly...

Actually, I screwed up before, I meant to say SO_LINGER.  I said
keepalive because I knew that was switchable.

If you are globally setting SO_LINGER -- don't.

You may also want to check to see (via ps -gax) if the rlogind had
exited, or it's the TCP trying to ack the client that's causing
the hang.

Turning off TCP extensions may also help.

Other than that, you'd need to work closely with Garrett or one of
the other protocol level guru's who deal with the dirt of TCP
itself, since anything else probably means that your client is
violating the spec.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---