Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -soname and shared libs (was Re: /sys/boot, egcs vs. gcc, -Os)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> This is a good knews. Does this mean, I can drop-in some GTk library
> and make libXaw.so a symlink to it? This would only support my
> point...

That's like trying to replace libz with libc.  Did you notice what I said
about the themes?

> But in any case, the drop-in replacement is one of the promises shared
> libraries pledge to deliver and do indeed deliver quite often. Using
> smth like -soname _may_ break this, if the run-time linker will refuse
> to use a different version of a library even if I want it to.

Drop in replacements are perhaps a promise to you, but hardly a guarantee.
The reason shared lib numbers were bumped up (or this was proposed
anyways) was because of source and binary incompatable changes being made.
Leaving the version number the same would introduce problems.

Nothing's stopping you from creating a replacement for an older version of
Gtk+ or symlinking a specific version of Gtk+ to another library.  Besides
why whine hopelessly about something I'm sure you're never going to do?
Think about all the other things that shared libs provide, like a
reduction in disk and memory usage.

Exhale once in a while.  It helps.

- alex