Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:25:29 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emulation problems - path length restrictions in linux_rename

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Basically I had to take the linux_base port, and then chroot into
>     /usr/compat/linux and install the rpm's for most of redhat, including
>     the compiler environment, and the ld.so and ldd piece from slackware
>     (because redhat's is broken under emulation).

Sounds like a lot of work. This is what I did (besides installing
linux_base and linux_devtools)

1) Get JRE to work

   in /usr/local/jre/bin edit jre, rmiregister, checkVersion:
        #!/compat/linux/bin/sh
[OK, I lied. I said I only changed a single script :-]

   create /compat/linux/bin/arch to contain:
        #!/bin/sh
        uname -m

   rm /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd

2) Get Oracle8i installer to work

   set DISPLAY

   set TMP

   link /compat/linux/etc/mtab to /etc/fstab

It took me a couple of hours, but I didn't spend any time getting an
actual database working. Oracle8i was fairly new at the time and I
wasn't going to waste any time tracing bugs that also existed on Linux.
My primary concern was the Linuxulator :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org