Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:39:01 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Herbert <h.j.s@gmx.at>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB in FreeBSD 4.3 RCx?

> OK, my Visor Deluxe is found again, but I can only use it with coldsync.
> Pilot-link and malsync report:
>
>     Unable to bind to port '/dev/ugen0'.

That's probably because /dev/ugen0 isn't a serial port device, and as
far as I can tell, the pilot-link software expects to talk to serial
port tty-type devices.  The coldsync software has specific support to
use a USB "generic" device to issue raw USB commands to the Visor
device; that's some code that I wrote.

> Do you think this is an application or a uvisor driver issue?
> The USB system was ported from NetBSD, right?
> Under NetBSD 1.5.1_BETA my Visor works with pilot-link and malsync using
> /dev/ttyU0.
> I checked the NetBSD patches for pilot-link and malsync, but couldn't
> find anything interesting ... modification to use netbsd usb.

Linux and NetBSD added kernel support to emulate a serial tty device
interface for a Visor USB peripheral.  That's wahy pilot-link and malsync
can talk to your visor on those platforms.

> Any chances that the USB palms will work under FreeBSD one day? I soon
> plan to replace my visor with the palm m505 as soon it is available. It
> will have a usb cradle again.
> Booting netbsd just to sync my palm is a bit dissapointing!

I use coldsync all the time with my Visor.  It seems to work adequately.
I don't know about the palm m505, and what it's USB interface looks
like.  There's a chance that it's a generic USB to serial peripheral
with nothing special.

> Who are the developers of usb, ugen, uvisor? Maybe I should contact them
> directly.

I dunno who did the uvisor device in NetBSD.  Perhaps their login info is
in their CVS tree.

louie