Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 21:41:51 +0000 ()
From:      Steve Spiller <steve@microdot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Now it routes, now it don't!

Well, I'm not sure what I did, or maybe it was a fluke that it was even
working in the first place, but i'm having routing problems.

Heres the scenerio :

Machine A and B are both a part of the network 205.134.198
Machine A is running FreeBSD 2.0.5, and Machine B is running Windows 95.
Machine A talks to machine B, machine B responds.  All is happy and good.

Now, machine A uses its modem to dial my PPP provider and establish a
connection.  This connection creates the address of 204.71.144.66 ( local
) and 204.71.144.?? ( remote ).  So now machine A ( 205.134.198.1 ) can
talk to machine B ( 205.134.198.2 ) and machine A can also talk to the
rest of the Net.

I have the address 204.71.144.66 as my default router,  and I have
#define GATEWAY compiled into the kernel etc ... as I said, it was
working.  Now, I can't for the life of me get machine B to see the Net or
vice verca.  In fact, the Outside world won't see machine A as
205.134.198.1, only 204.71.144.66.

The only other option is that my providers portmaster dropped my network
from its routing tables ( this has happened before ), but I mailed the
network guy at my provider and asked him to check.  *shrug* I suppose
that he may not have yet ... but if anyone has a similar setup, can you
please send me a copy of your 'netstat -rn' output?

Thanks for any help on this!!!

						-Steve
						 steve@microdot.com