Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 2009 16:31:09 +0000
From:      Rui Costa <rui.pfcosta@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation boot sequence freeze

When installing freebsd (7.2, 8.0 betas, rc1, rc2 - AMD64) on a Clevo M540SR
laptop (chipset VIA VN896), after menu option selection, the boot process
freezes at "Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0". On verbose booting it
freezes giving some mode information:

md0: Preloaded image 4194304 bytes at 0xffffffff80c4be40
ATA PseudoRAID loaded
flowtable cleaner started
warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set
accurately
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0

Start_init: trying /sbin/init
Start_init: trying /sbin/oinit
Start_init: trying /sbin/init.bak
Start_init: trying /rescue/init
Start_init: trying /stand/sysinstall

I've tried already several boot hints (any of them with success) such as:

apic.0.disabled = 1
sio.0.disasabled = 1
sio.1.disabled = 1
fdc.disabled = 1
kbdmux.0.disabled = 1

A possible solution I found over the internet would be to disable USB 2.0
support on bios, but bios options are very limited and won't allow me to do
that.

FreeBSD 6.4 install and later upgrade to 7.0 went flawlessly, but upgrade to
7.2 brings up the freezes again on boot.