Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 07:02:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic Security Question

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Michael Slater wrote:

> Hello,
>   This might seem like a pretty basic question to most on this list
> but here goes.. My boss, a non UNIX person, has directed me to make
> the /etc directory readable only by root.. He ignores my argument
> that this is not a good thing and claims that FreeBSD must be very
> insecure if this is the case. Can someone explain in simple terms
> what the permissions should be for the /etc directory, and why it is
> not a good idea to make it readable only by root. His assumption is
> that a "good" comerical grade system such as Solaris, or BSDI would
> never allow this..

I've seen alot of posts for Solaris and Linux, but none about BSDI, so
here's BSDI to add to the list =)

drwxr-xr-x  12 root  wheel    2048 Dec  3 11:31 etc

It's BSDI BSD/OS 3.1 btw.

Jim

: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| web: http://www.triax.com/	:
: Triax Internet Services	| ----------------------------- :
: Portland, OR USA		| FreeBSD: The Power to Serve	:
: Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	| http://www.freebsd.org/	: