Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Geoff Mohler <gemohler@speedracer.speedtoys.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        Benjamin Gavin <virtual_olympus@yahoo.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-provider load balancing

You need a proper routing protocol to prevent asynchronous
routing..badbadbadbad.

*heh* Will routed let me run confederations too?

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Benjamin Gavin wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >   I've got a problem.  I have two providers (cable modem/DSL) and I need
> > to load-balance the connection between them.  I don't want to do BGP, and
> > would prefer something that is marginally easy to maintain.  I don't care
> > about balancing based on load, simple round-robin style balancing would be
> > fine.  Here's a "picture":
> >
> > Internal Network (192.168.x.x)
> > FreeBSD 4.2-RC firewall
> >  |             |
> >  V             V
> > cable         DSL
> >
> >   Each external side is currently DHCP, but could be static if necessary.
> > What I need is when a request goes out through the firewall for the
> > machine to basically "choose a side".  Then once the connection is
> > established it could stay on that pipe, or flip back and forth (whichever
> > is easier).
> >
> >   Here's what I've tried:
> >
> > 1.  ipfw + 2xnatd, doesn't seem to work, since ipfw rules can't randomly
> > choose on of two rules (AFAIK)
>
> 	Check out the probability stuff in ipfw.  There has been a battle
> 	over this for a while.  Many people say that you MUST run a
> 	routing daemon (ie BGP) to do this.  Don;t know about ipfilter.
>

> Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
>  - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
>  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"

---
Geoff Mohler <gemohler@speedtoys.com>
California, USA

I own a lotta cars.  But in the best interests of not having to continualy
edit this file to meet the needs of eight specific lists, and no to awaken the
idiots within others who think -thier- cars are the best and Im a fool for
having anything -but- thier kind of car..I have not listed them.  If Im on
the list you are reading..I have one.