Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:29:03 +0100
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan_junaidi@yahoo.com.sg>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding new disk as the primary.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:59:27PM +0800, Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim typed:
> Hello all,
>
> My disk is getting full and I'm thinking of getting bigger and faster disk to
> accomodate my installation. I do not want to do reinstallation and prefer to
> export previous settings in the present disk. There's too many of them that I
> have to customize and I hate to redo it all. The present disk will serve as
> /usr/ports partition and the rest will be placed on the upcoming disk.
>
> Is there a way to do this or do I have to do a reinstallation?

You don't have to reinstall.

1) Boot the system with the new disk as a secundary disk, eg. ad2
2) use /stand/sysinstall to partition the new disk and put a bootmanager on it
3) newfs the partitions (this can also be done from sysinstall)
4) Use dump/restore to copy the content of your old disk to the newer; eg:
	# mount /dev/ad2s1a /mnt
	# cd /mnt
	# /sbin/dump -0af - / | /sbin/restore -rf -
	(repeat for other partitions)
5) remove old disk, replacing with new disk.