Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 06:29:52 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>, C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Block WWW advertizing banners & auto spawn web pages using ipfilter or ipfw

On Thursday 27 December 2001 07:38 pm, Scott Nolde wrote:
> smacked into the keyboard previously by C J Michaels:
>  >Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:32:33 -0500
>  >From: C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>
>  >To: Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>,
>  >     Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
>  >Cc: FBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
>  >Subject: RE: Block WWW advertizing banners & auto spawn web pages usi=
ng
>  >    ipfilter or ipfw
>  >
>  >I use adzap for squid and it works like a charm, it blocks about 80% =
of
>  > ad banners and it does a decent job of squelching popups.  It doesn'=
>  > actually remove them, but the windows pop-up empty and dont' spawn
>  > further popups.
>  >
>  >It's even in the ports collection now (/usr/ports/www/adzap/)
>  >
>  >--Chris
>
> Thanks for the info.  I found a very detailed filter file for junkbuste=
> which catches about 98% of the ads from sites in the US.  I've been ver=
> pleased.

I've been quietly following this thread and am interested in this too. Co=
uld=20
you share with us what filter file it is that you found? Or where you fou=
nd=20
it?

Thanks,
Chip
www.wiegand.org

> I got interested in junkbuster while trying to determine which proxy
> server to use to bypass the office's proxy... OpenSSH + ${proxy_of_choi=
ce}
> makes a great combination.  Incorporating an ad filter to the web proxy
> cuts down enormously on bandwidth.

--=20
Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patc=
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.