Date:      Sat, 9 May 2020 19:10:31 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba4-3 issue

On 2020-05-08 22:12, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Due to a finger fumble the samba43 pkg on a DC was deleted.

Ugh... that's so old!
You don't tell, anyway, whether you installed 43 again or move to a new
version...

> I reinstalled bind911 as that pkg was in /var/db/cache.  I also reinstall
> samba-nsupdate from the same source. However, neither create /usr/sbin/rndc.

I would have been suprised, as no package/port should install any binary
outside /usr/local. bind911 will install rndc under /usr/local/sbin.

What's your FreeBSD version?
Possibly /usr/sbin/rndc was there until BIND was removed from base; I
don't remember which version made that happen.
(Or possibly, if you changed Samba version, that's the reason it behaves
differently).

> If I soft link /usr/sbin/rndc to /usr/local/sbin/rndc

I would suggest setting "rndc command" in smb.conf, instead.

> then I get these error messages instead:
>
> /usr/sbin/rndc: rndc: neither /usr/local/etc/namedb/rndc.conf nor
> /usr/local/etc/namedb/rndc.key was found

You don't have those files, do you?
Try and look below /var, as sometimes BIND is installed chrooted. If now
it's not chrooted anymore you'll either have to chroot it again (and
AFAIR that might not be supported anymore) or move its config files into
place.

> Any help appreciated.

Don't know if I did; HTH.

  bye