Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:03:10 -0500
From:      "Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Interface Keeps Dying FreeBSD9.1

	This system has 4 NIC's. Only one of the NIC's is likely
to ever be used. When setting up the system, we selected DHCP
for now and accidentally discovered that we had picked the wrong
Ethernet jack  so the interface configuration attempt failed
when we tried it. We went ahead and finished configuring the
system and I used ifconfig to basically buzz out which interface
came to life when an Ethernet cable was plugged in.
	They all show up with gbe2, gbe3, gbe0 and gbe1 as one
plugs in to jacks 1, 2, 3 and 4. We wanted gbe0 so I started the
system with the other 3 unconnected.
	You've never seen so much flapping of the connected
interface. Line after line of gbe0 being down followed by gbe0
being up. Eventually, gbe0 would stop flapping and, no surprise,
was either showing "no carrier" or 0.0.0.0 as the IP address.
	I got a bigger hammer, so to speak and manually forced
it to the IP address we needed it to be
along the line of

defaultrouter="192.168.255.254"
ifconfig_gbe0="inet 192.168.255.20  netmask 255.255.255.0"

	For the rest of the interfaces, I have

ifconfig_gbe1="down"

and the same for 2 and 3.
	Starting up, we have more flapping but when things
settle down, one can actually ping various other addresses in
that and other subnets in our network so it's finding the router
and we are getting ICMP returns.
	As soon as I actually try to do anything such as scp
something from another system, gbe0 collapses with
/var/log/messages reporting only that gbe0 went down.
	The watchdog timer springs in to action and gbe0 is
back again for all the pinging one could ever want to do.

	Has anybody seen this behavior?
	Sysinstall has a function called netInteractive that
will re-run the network setup but I haven't been able to make it
happen and re-running sysinstall without arguments doesn't seem
to let one re-do the network setup.
	This is a new system that has never worked yet but there
is no randomness to the interface crashing. It crashes every
time one either contacts it from another system or it contacts
another system for anything other than ICMP.
	Any constructive suggestions are welcome.

	Martin McCormick