Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:18:08 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        gerard-seibert@rcn.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make arguments and buildworld

Gerard Seibert wrote:

>I am going to do a fresh install of FreBSD 5.3 this weekend on my
>computer. Immediately after the installation I want to do a buildworld
>and install a custom kernel.
>
>My question is what special arguments should I use in the 'make.conf'
>file for this project.  Is it really necessary to change this file at
>all? I was reading the handbook and it mentioned the 'CFLAGGS' entry and
>a few others.

I'd recommend leaving CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS alone (I've only managed to
make problems when I set these), but I would change CPUTYPE to your CPU
Type, options are:

AMD CPU:   athlon-mp, athlon-xp, athlon-4, athlon-tbird, athlon, k6-3,
k6-2, k6, k5
Intel CPU:    p4, p3, p2, i686, i586/mmx, i586, i486, i386

If you want to rebuild a custom kernel add this:
KERNCONF=FOOBAR

For your kernel config file comment out everything you don't need (make
sure you have a "working" kernel b4 you buildworld), i.g:

cpu             I486_CPU
cpu             I586_CPU
device          eisa
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
all the SCSI Controllers
etc.
Don't forget to add in sound support etc. etc.

then buildworld:
# cvsup -g -L 2 foobar-supfile (set the cvs release tag to RELENG_5_3)
# cd /usr/src
# make -j2 buildworld && make -j2 buildkernel && make -j2 Installkernel
&& reboot
test your new kernel, if it works drop down to single user mode
# shutdown now
# cd /usr/src
# make installworld
# reboot
If system is still working then mergemaster
# mergemaster
# reboot
Done.

rm -r /usr/obj/*