Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:45:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org (FreeBSD ISP)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd)
Subject:   oddities with some carriers? maybe

I've noticed some oddities over the last 6 months with some networks
or carriers. I can't pin down which. I have found two companies so
far that have trouble retrieving info from over here. Yahoo and
Linkexchange are two. This is most noticable when they are trying to
retrieve something from my site using their cgi scripts to either update
search engines, or in the case of linkexchange, retrieve the banner.gif to
put in their database.

Now this is the odd part. Both sites show that they have immediatly
accessed my site. They show up in the access_log as doing what they are
supposed to do. Then however they time out, or fail. Yahoo fails on
timeout, even though they have actually accessed the page being indexed,
and Linkexchange failes with a Server Error from their site.
I had a similar report from a person in Germany, but couldn't get back in
touch with them as they went to China!

My link here is only 28.8, and I know that this could be the source of
some problems, however, I am beginning to suspect something much lower
down the chain.

SMTP also fails repeatedly, mostly with timeouts, on only certain sites.
Some (most) go through immediatly, others NEVER go through? yet if I rout
them to a nearby server at the local college, which is only one hop
away, they go on from there immediatly, over it's 64K link.

Now, is this purely a 28.8 problem, thus something I live with for the
moment, or is there some sort of underlying timing problem here that
I can maybe fix in the kernel.?
Or indeed, is it even my problem at alll? I can't believe I'm the only
person in the world working at 28.8K?

Does anyone have any similar experiences, or ideas.

Please dont just tell me that I should upgrade to a higher speed. I can't.

thanks
Robert

--
Triple-W: P.O. Box 2003. Mackay. 4740       		   +61-0412-079025
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au