Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:31:45 -0500
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Daniel Marsh <daniel@stiw.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: Performance Issues with AMD64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

Daniel Marsh wrote:
> To get the CD device in dma try setting hw.ata.atapi_dma to 1 with
> sysctl  (may need to go into loader)

Only reason I didn't put the DVD burner in DMA is because a K3b howto
guide recommended PIO mode. I no longer use K3b (but growisofs) so I
guess I could try it but I'm not sure how that would affect this
particular problem.

> In note of the problem of having multiple drives per channel, have you
> tried running one hard drive and seeing if you have any of the
> discussed  problems? Have you tried disconnecting the raid totally
> (pulling out the  promise raid)

Well I started initially with one hard drive when I was rebuilding the
system. It didn't seem to have any issues on it's own because it's when
transferring data to one of the other drives on the same channel that
the errors occurred. I also started without the Promise totally because
at that point I didn't know what the problem was. I was downgrading the
speeds on some of the drives via atacontrol to udma100 and it seemed to
work then with two drives on the same channel, but after more testing it
failed as well.

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> This is a known bug in FreeBSD.  It is fixed in 6.0, and there is a
> patch for 5.4 (search on -current from Jeff Roberson), which will be
> committed at some point.

I found the sound skipping thread by Jeff. Looks like a great
explanation, however my problem even occurs even with light disk I/O
such as reading an mp3/Ogg/video file off any of the drives. I did some
more testing with actual files off the drives last night instead of
streams, and it seems worse with actual files.

I'm not sure if the proposed patch will fix it or not, and trying
6.0-BETA2 for my other hardware/hard drive problem just introduced new
problems (panics, network stuff not recognized, etc). I do have a spare
hard drive where I could put test anything though if you think trying
-CURRENT or another BETA would be worthwhile.

Thanks.

-Mark