Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 09:39:18 -0400
From:      Tyson Boellstorff <tysonb@pionet.net>
To:        abial@warman.org.pl
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Subject: SMP hardware recommendations

My company considers buying a new SMP machine for some
CPU/disk-intensive
tasks (similar to news server: searching and processing large quantities
of text files), and I convinced them to give a try to FreeBSD. The idea
behind it is to save some money on another Sun Ultra, if possible...

What hardware would you recommend? Now I'm thinking about the following
setup:

* MB: 2xPPro 200MHz, 512kB cache, manufacturer: ???, chipset: ???
* RAM: 256 MB (EDO ???)
* SCSI: Adaptec 2940U
* HDD: ??? (ca. 8 GB total)
* Network: Intel EtherExpress 10/100 (fxp driver)
* other hardware is less important (i.e. floppy, graphics, keyboard...)

And what do you think about performance of such a machine (comparing to
Sun Ultra 1/140)?

Gateway 2000 has released a board that should do this on Saturday. Comes
with these chipsets on the board: 2940 UW, ATI Mach 64 GT, Intel
Etherexpress Pro,  Intel FX 440, and of course, it supports 2 200 Mhz
PPro chips. Supports up to 512 Mb Ram, and you could order it with a 9
Gb Seagate SCSI hdd. The board is made by Intel. I plan on getting the
board and trying it on FreeBSD in the next couple of weeks.

The standard config is G6 200**2 with 64 MB EDO, 4 G SCSI hdd, 12x SCSI
CD-ROM, 256k Internal cache. (As with all P6's, this is on the CPU chip,
so you may want to bear that in mind) The standard config is with single
processor, $599 for number two. You'd have to talk to Sales to see if
they could save you the effort of dumping the 256 k 200 Mhz processor &
order with 512's.

As to performance, I've been told it flies. I'll render my own opinion
after I get it going.