Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:42:26 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        fm_sendthere@gmx.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd design model

* Frederik Meerwaldt <Meerwaldt@t-online.de> [000619 11:34] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this message is especially for the developers or other people who
> contribute FreeBSD.
> I just thought today, that I could write a little bit documentation for
> the PCMCIA stuff... (That's what on the TODO List). But if I start now,
> how can I verify that there's nobody else who writes this?

You can make an announcement that you're working on it, and what
you hope to acoomplish.

> So I had an Idea:
>
> What about setting a computer in the internet on which everyone can have
> an own account and with a self-written program on it which does the
> following:
>
> The Program has the Items of the ToDo list in it.
> Every user can say, that he'll do this or that item, and that will be
> registered in the system, so that nobody else does this work, too, else
> only the code of 1 programmer will be used (you can hardly mix different
> code). That is for Coding as well as for documentation.
> The background is the following:
>
> I was developer on a "huge" project (we were 40 people, so nothing against
> the FreeBSD team), and there we had such a system and everybody was
> happy. If I wanted to write a part I saw... oh, user xxx has checked it
> out.
>
> So if one of the "high" people agree with this idea, I could set up such a
> system (well I have to look for a constant internet connection, but I
> suppose my ISP will give me one for free when his name is listed on the
> contribution list :-)).
>
> What about this idea?

The FreeBSD project has well over 150 people working on it, you
can't mark off large parts of the system as your own.  The idea is
to work together concurrantly, occasionally there's some overlap,
but usually it's a good thing because in that case the two works
can be merged together as something better.

Don't worry too much about overlap, just do what you want to and
submit it, the chances of collision are so small that the system
you're suggesting would be too heavyweight for most of my needs.