Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:24:36 -0500
From:      Russell Meek <russell@russellmeek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't compile kernel

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Don't top-post, please.
>
>Jose Borquez <calartstech@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>  Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>--- Jose Borquez  wrote:
>>

>>> I made a standard install of FreeBSD 5.4  with Kern-Developer  Full
>>>binaries and doc, kernel source  only.  I attempted to compile a custom
>>>kernel running:
>>>  make buildkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM  Then I get the following error:
>>>make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
>>>  I run it from the /usr/src/ directory.  The /usr/src/ directory is
>>>empty.  Does that mean the source files were not installed?
>>>  Could someone please give me any clues as to what I am missing or have
>>>done incorrectly?
>>>

>>The /usr/src/sys directory should contain the kernel source code.  Your
>>claim that the /usr/src directory is empty is strange since you also say
>>you are compiling a custom kernel.  Where is the custom kernel config file
>>if not under /usr/src/sys//conf?
>>

>>The custom kernel config file is in  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf  I did more reading from the FreeBSD  website handbook and it said if you installed only the kernel source  code that you need to compile the traditional way using:
>>
>>  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/config CUSTOM  then change to the build directory
>>
>>  /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CUSTOM
>>
>>  then run make depend.
>>
>>  All of this worked just fine, but now when I run make install I get the following error message:
>>  You must build a kernel first.
>>  *** Error code 1
>>
>>  Stop in /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CUSTOM.
>>  # /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CUSTOM
>>
>>  What is the problem here?
>>

>In that directory, I believe you need to run "make" before "make
>install".

Jose,

Delete:

*/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CUSTOM*

Run:

*config /usr/src/sys/i386/config CUSTOM*

Drop into Single User Mode if possible:

*init 1*

Once in Single User Mode Run:

*mount -a
mount -u
mount -a*

Then *CD* into */usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CUSTOM *and* *Run:

*make depend && make && make install*

When Complete, restart into your new kernel.

Once rebooted, you can then delete the *kernel.old* directory under */boot* to free up some space on the */* directory.

Thanks,

Russell