Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 14:03:12 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panics after upgrading to 2.2.5

I have recently upgraded a machine from FreBSD-2.2.2 to 2.2.5, using
the  cvsup/make world method...

I'm pretty sure I followed all the destructions in "Making the world
your own", so I'm at a loss as to why I should get this... all the
machines I've built from scratch with 2.2.5 are stable, and this machine
was toally stable on 2.2.2...

The problem is very easy to reproduce... all I need to do is login as
root, do anything (like ls -lR /) and then type 'halt', and I'll
(usually) get:

panic: bremfree: removing a buffer when not on a queue

These can also be caused by more or less anything... incoming email,
making a package, etc.

Here's another kind I got during a cvsup session (I very rarely get
these with a 'halt', but it has happened):

> fault virtual address = 0x2e7e51ab
> fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xf012b59c
> stack pointer         = 0x10:0xefbffc94
> frame pointer         = 0x10:0xefbffc94
> code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process               = 188 (cvsup)
> interrupt mask                = bio
> panic: page fault

And, during boot, I occasionally get:

panic: getnewbuf: inconsistent EMPTY queue, qindex=0

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (181) 742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (181) 742 5995