Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 15:55:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bob Bridgham <bob@netacc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Compilation Problem

Question,

	I installed gcc v2.8.1, then I tried to recompile the kernel on
our new machine, and this is what I get :

plasma# make
procfs_vnops.o: Undefined symbol `___cmpdi2' referenced from text segment
nfs_bio.o: Undefined symbol `___cmpdi2' referenced from text segment
nfs_subs.o: Undefined symbol `___cmpdi2' referenced from text segment
ffs_vnops.o: Undefined symbol `___cmpdi2' referenced from text segment

plasma# uname -a
FreeBSD plasma.netacc.net 2.2.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Jul 22 08:
48:29 GMT 1998     root@builder.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386

I have no clue why I get these messages, I know how to compile programs
pretty well and have developed before, but I have no clue what ___cmpdi2
is, I do not see it refrenced in /usr/src/sys/nfs/* or in
/usr/src/sys/miscfs/procfs

Very confused.

I have installed alot of programs that function fine with this
installation of gcc, but another one I am haveing problems with is emacs
20.2 I get these errors :
gcc -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I/usr/ports/editors/emacs20/work/emacs-20.
2/src             -O sysdep.c
sysdep.c: In function `init_system_name':
sysdep.c:2214: storage size of `uts' isn't known
sysdep.c: In function `strerror':
sysdep.c:2974: warning: return discards `const' from pointer target type
sysdep.c: In function `mkdir':
sysdep.c:3628: argument `dpath' doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:208: prototype declaration
sysdep.c:3628: argument `dmode' doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:208: prototype declaration
sysdep.c: In function `rmdir':
sysdep.c:3686: argument `dpath' doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/unistd.h:88: prototype declaration
gmake: *** [sysdep.o] Error 1

ALOT OF STRANGE ERRORS.  I was also haveing problems with
sysdep.c:2970: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
/usr/include/stdio.h:245: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
I get this problem in alot of programs, but I comment the prototype for
this function in other programs and it works fine. Just some problems I am
seeing with my machine.  Any help would greately be appreciated.

					Bob Bridgham
					Network Administrator
					NetAccess Inc.
					Phone : (716) 756-5500