Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bsd_usr@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bash and $HOME env var quirks

Hey all!

Usually, I don't alter my working environment from
factory default just because it's usually fine the way
it is, but this time I thought I might tweak my bash
prompt a bit.  And I had a couple of questions about
how the bash prompt '/w' option works and how it
applies to the $HOME enviroment variable.

First of all, if I set my prompt to PS1='\h:\w$ ' my
prompt usually ends up looking like this:
bsd:/usr/home/user$ rather than bsd:~$

I think this has to do with the $HOME enviroment
variable being set to /home/user and not
/usr/home/user, bash might not like because /home is a
link to /user/home.  After I set $HOME to
/usr/home/user then things look okay.

I'm wonder what initially sets the $HOME variable to
/home/user rather than /usr/home/user.  I've taken a
look at my . files and I didn't see anything there
that sets $HOME to /home/user so I'm thinking it's a
global thing.

TIA,

Joey