Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:19:22 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: adduser

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 09:02:50PM +0100, Norbert Koch wrote:
> Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net> writes:
>
> > I tried the simple act of adding a user to my system.
> > It failed, repeatingly asking me for a user name I had already given.
> > You should not have to have the brain of Einstein in order to put a new
> > user on your system.
>
> You misunderstood the first part of adduser which is the configuration
> part (done once).  Here's a sample session from my machine:

<snip>

> So, you should keep the regexp at the beginning and set up a
> adduser.conf according to your needs.  The rest is mainly hitting the
> return key.
>
> norbert.

Cliff,

Check out the man page for adduser(8).  If you don't want it to run you
through the setup each time, invoke it as `adduser -silent`.  It will
then simply ask you for the basics.

By the way, although peoples responses may have seemed a little
negative, they were somewhat warranted.  They are right, you complained,
but gave no specific information such that anyone could effectually help
you.  Here's an analogy:  say I'm having a problem with my machine not
booting properly - so I post to freebsd-questions and say, "WTF?  I just
installed FreeBSD 4.7 and when my machine boots it doesn't work!
Someone please help me!"  Obviously, a post such as this is not only
annoying, but absolutely worthless.  Even a non-computer literate person
would be able to identify that the issue needs more clarification.  This
is what people are pointing out regarding your initial post.  Think
about your problem and then formulate a question to the list in a manner
that will elucidate your problem to people who are, in fact, not sitting
at your terminal.  For example, you could have posted some snippets from
the command.  You say "repeatedly".  Does "repeatedly" mean 2 times?  5
times?  10 times?  An endless loop?  Was the user eventually added?  Had
you read the man page?  Exactly how did you invoke adduser?

Nathan