Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:31:42 +0100
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NATD redirect part II

Due to my somewhat confusing post about getting help with telnet redirects
I have decided to put a more extensive description of my setup and problem
for review by the people subscribing to this list.

I manage two (2) FreeBSD gateways on seperate locations, both handling an
internal 192.168.*.* network - the traffic is is tunnled using pipsecd
between these networks.

Network topology
--------------------
192.168.1.*----192.168.1.254(FREEBSD1)A.B.C.D---(I N T E R N E
T)---E.F.G.H(FREEBSD2)192.168.10.254---192.168.10.10(TELNETMACHINE)

Problem description
------------------------

I want to allow people outside on the internet telnet access to the machine
above called TELNETMACHINE. Both FreeBSD gateways are using ipfw+natd for
NAT and Firewalling. I have tried using the directives: -redirect_port tcp
192.168.10.10:23 8888 and -redirect_port udp 192.168.10.10:23 8888 on the
FREEBSD2 machine then tried to telnet into E.F.G.H on port 8888 (while
using tcpdump on both the external and internal interface on FREEBSD) but I
get no response. And the tcpdump shows the telnet from outside reaching
FREEBSD2 but there is no activity what so ever on the internal interface -
which in my opinion shows that I am making some fundamental error trying to
get natd to behave and redirect the telnet session. I am inclined to think
that I am the one being a moron here and that it's not due to a bug in
natd.

Any pointers? I was thinking about giving up and using bounce until I saw
that it's only able to "bounce" tcp and not udp packets. There gotta be
someone out there with a similar problem like mine that has been solved..
right?

Thanks in advance...

Thomas Uhrfelt