Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:48:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Peter <fbsdq@kuyarov.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: umask -- tar extracting files with same permissions

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Peter wrote:

> Hello,
> 	One one machine my name is peter while on another it's peterk -- I
> have a website [cgi and all] on the peterk one....I tar zcvf that site
> and uploaded it to the peter one.  On the peter one my umask is at 0137
> .. I untarred the site...well.....all the files got screwed up...like my
> cgi's were made unexcetuable, my directories unlistable, world writeable
> files unwriteable, etc. -- what am I doing wrong? I would like to be
> able to move files from one computer to another retaining permissions
> [chmod] [owner/group I don't care - whoever untars it].  Can someone
> please explain to me how this works and what I'm doing wrong/right/what
> should I be doing?
>
> 						Thanks
> 							Peter

Did you use the option -p in your tar command line? That should ensure
that the original permissions are carried forward when files are extracted
from the archive, although if the same user does not exist on both systems
I believe ownership is assigned to the user with the same numeric ID by
default.

Cheers,

Viktor