Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:30:20 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Database recomendation pls.

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Jorge Biquez wrote:
> using SQLServer or Oracle but pls think that here money is a problem. I
> have been reading about MySql and I was wondering how strong it really is
> in real life. Anyone is using it in busy environments?

Go to http://www.slashdot.org and see MySql in real life.  That's what they use
for their back-end database, and they saturate a T1 and more.  I'd call that a
busy environment (though it does get slow once they get to that point, but
that's more a problem with Apache, details upon request but Apache ain't the
cat's meow for serving static data, especially for big files).

> I have machines running FreeBSD, others with  NT 4.0 IIS SP4 and others are
> Macs running Webten and Webstar. I do not care to program on C or another
> high level language if necessary.

You probably want to use PHP3 then (http://www.php3.org ).  You have to do this
in order. First install MySQL and Apache, then they have a way to compile php3
as a dynamic module so that it can access PHP3. PHP3 + MySQL gives you much of
the functionality of ASP without the expense.

The only concern: PHP3 is not the world's fastest language, and MySQL is not
the world's most-featured database (it *IS* blazingly fast though).

Another possibility is to use Zope (http://www.zope.org), which uses Python and
has "Database Adaptors". It is easier to set up a little web page that puts up
a few database thingies,  because you can just point and click on a web
configurator, but I've had no success in figuring out how to program Python
methods for Zope, so I haven't bothered trying to make real applications with
it yet. Squishdot ( see http://www.technocrat.org ) is written using Zope.

You may also want to dig around on the PHP3 web site, I think someone has
released a Zope-like point-and-click front end for building PHP3-based
applications that might be of use to you.

Anyhow, good luck!

 --
Eric Lee Green    http://members.tripod.com/e_l_green
  mail: e_l_green@hotmail.com